[Samba] Samba as a client to Windows2000 + special characters on filenames

breno.moiana at partekforest.com breno.moiana at partekforest.com
Wed Jan 28 17:53:15 GMT 2004

Thanks for the help, Andrew! It's not ready yet, but I am one step closer :D
Okay, let's go to part II :)

>> I have been troubleshooting this for over a week, and what follows is a
rather
>> long, detailed description. The short description to the problem I have been
>> dealing with is: I can't access files on a windows2000 server from a Linux
>> client when their filenames have some specific special characters such as "ã"
>> can list them, but not copy.
>>
>> The setup:
>> server: Windows 2000 (EN) with Service Pack 3
>> client: Debian Sarge (testing) with Samba 3.0 and kernel 2.4.22
>>
>> To mount the filesystem, I am (successfully) using:
>> [breno at intra:/testing]# mount -t smbfs -o
>> username=user,password=pass,ro,codepage=cp860 //servername/sharename
>> /testing/smbmnt/
>
>You will always get nasty character set issues with smbfs.  The CIFS VFS
>should be better in that regard, as it will allow you to use unicode on
>the wire.  That, and UTF8 locally (ie, make that your LOCALLE), will get
>you a much better result.

I have compiled CIFS into the kernel, no probs with that. Have also set up
mount.cifs on /sbin as required by the instructions from samba's CIFS page.
Now I can mount the remote share with "mount -t cifs -o
usernname=user,password=pass,codepage=utf8 //server/share /testing/dir".
I can list the files (as before) but now, when I try to copy one 'clean' file,
with no special chars on its name, the system kind of hangs up. Numlock,
Capslock etc still respond, but no keyboard, no SSHing into the machine,
nothing. A finger on the power button is the only choice left.
I followed cifs' documentation, and it seems to work fine, except that I can't
access the files, just list them. Ideas?

Regards,

Breno Moiana
"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."

"Ciência é conhecimento organizado. Sabedoria é vida organizada."
    -- Immanuel Kant