[Samba] different shares from one directory possible?

Alexander Goeres agoeres at lieblinx.net
Wed Jan 28 16:09:40 GMT 2004

Hello everybody!

I am wondering if it's possible to export a subdirectory of an already
existing share as a different share?

Just an example:

[share1]
path = /path/to/a/directory
valid users = groupA
write list = groupA

[share2]
path = /path/to/a/directory/and/a /subdirectory
valid users = groupA, groupB
write list = groupA, GroupB

I was doing that with a (strange Debian) Samba 2.999+3.0.alpha20-3, and failed
when I tried to acces this share. The error msg in the referring log was:
"'/path/to/a/directory/and/a /subdirectory' is not a directory, when
connecting to [share2]"

The aim of that should be, that a more or less public access is granted to a
subdirectory of a directory with a strictly limited access.

Is it generally possible to do it that way or is this basic "access-granting"
idea wrong?

If someone has any ideas about this, please tell me.

Greetings

Alexander
agoeres _at_ lieblinx.net
tel.: +49 (0)30 / 61 20 26 87