[Samba] WinFS and Samba interoperability

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Jan 27 22:59:19 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 05:50:01PM -0500, Chris Kordish wrote:
> Hi There,
>
> 	Do any of the latest versions of Samba
> interoperate with WinFS found in Microsoft future OS
> called Longhorn ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Kordish
> Staff Engineer - Sun Microsystems
> Competitive Strategy Group -  CTO Office
> 781-442-2784

Right now we don't know.

WinFS is a layer over an existing filesystem (NTFS) and
the extra SQL-like query features are only described in
API docs from Microsoft MSDN.

How this is achieved we don't know without getting a Longhorn
CD installing it and checking out how this stuff might be
done over the network. Maybe it's done via CIFS extensions,
maybe via new RPC pipes - right now we don't know as we
don't have a Longhorn CD.

I would have thought that an engineer in Sun's
"Competitive Strategy Group" would be in a better
position to answer questions like this than the Samba Team.

Of course if you'd like to get us a Longhorn CD and donate
a machine for us to do these tests we'd be happy to investigate
for you :-).

Jeremy.