[Samba] Permission Mangling while migrating W2k fileserver to samba

alaslavic at havertys.com alaslavic at havertys.com
Tue Jan 27 16:43:48 GMT 2004

I am migrating a rather large Windows 2k fileserver to samba.   I have
acl's working acceptably in samba, but am having trouble getting data from
the windows server, to the Samba server with all (would settle for most) of
the permissions intact.  Have tried XCOPY, and various backup, and
archiving programs, and while most of the ACL's make it over, the "owner"
permission seems to get clobbered, and set to whichever user I was logged
in as while initiating the copy.

My goal here is not to have to wade through thousands of directories to
correct permissions.  Somebody must have run into this before?  Any
suggestions?