[Samba] MS Word and Samba File Permissions Problem

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Tue Jan 27 13:59:06 GMT 2004

> Hello everybody!
>
> Obviously Samba as a PDC and Fileserver for w2k clients is not as
> easy as I
> first thought.
>
> Soon after setup and integration in a network a problem with the
> shares and MS
> Word appeared.
>
> Any time a file is opened with M$ Word directly from a share and
> edited it
> can't be saved. The M$ user gets the msg that the file is
> write-protected and
> on the samba side the file permissions are changed to r-xr-xr-x
> even if they
> have been 770 before.
>
> Here some of my configs:
> #######################
> +Samba 3.0.1 on Debian 3.0
>
> + Groupmapping:
> - Domain Admins -> root
> - Domain Users -> domuser
> - Domain Guests -> nogroup
>
> + smb.conf:
> [global]
> admin users = +root
> write list = +root +domuser
> create mask = 0775
> directory mask = 0775
> [share]
> force create mode = 0660
> force directory mode = 0770
> force group = domuser
>
> Client-side: MS Office 2000 on w2k
> #######################
> All the files/directories on this share belong to the group "domuser".
>
> I found a hint in the Samba HowTo collection:
> http://de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/AccessControls.html#id2920312
> According to that I set the sgid bit on all the directories
> (rwxrws---) and
> did set the "force create/directory mode" but that doesn't help.
>
> If anyone came across a similar problem or even a solution,
> please help me. A
> samba fileserver. that scrambles write-rights in conjunction with
> M$ Word is
> pretty useless ..

Hi Alexander

I had this problem at work (Debian 2.2.3a).

My shares now look like this:

[Share]
   comment = description
   path = /home/projects
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   force create mode = 0060
   force directory mode = 0070
   create mask = 0770
   directory mask = 0770

mode is drwxrwx--- owned by root.staff

All users in company are in group staff. No sticky bit set (although we are
running a similar share for out R & D dept with the mode drwxrwx--T

Everything runs happily now. All files are owned by the creator & group
staff. I also had an issue when i had set veto files (but I think that was
because I had put veto files in the global section).

As a return favour - have you got add user script/add group script etc
working properly yet? Could you share your scripts with me pls - as I have
issues with this in 3.0.0fianl.

Regards,

Chris

believed to be clean.