[Samba] Samba and Terminal Server Whitepaper

Per Kjetil Grotnes perkjetil.grotnes at pbe.oslo.kommune.no
Tue Jan 27 08:25:39 GMT 2004

Ok, I have had a preview of the document.  The Terminal Server issues
are as far as I can see all covered except one.  This issue is related
to a Solaris 32 bit application limitation. I do not know if HP-UX got
this limitation aswell as our HP-UX samba userload is not high enough to
reach this limitaion (if any).

Here is a Sun statement which describes the problem:

"For a 32-bit application, a stdio library FILE structure represents the
underlying file descriptor as an unsigned char, limiting the range of
fds
which can be opened as FILE's to 0-255 inclusive. A common, known
problem is
that when the 32-bit stdio is used for a large server application, the
255
limit is frequently exceeded. Although this limitation does not exist
for
64-bit applications, this problem will always remain for 32-bit
applications."

Without the netbios or hosts 'fix' described in Erics whitepaper one
would easily reach this limitation. The samba server smbd process for
this TS would have a large amount of open files ( > 256).

To solve this on Solaris we compiled the samba source with the gcc -m64
option making the samba binaries 64 bit and increased the default
settings for max file descriptors in /etc/system.

Is this something which should be added in some sort of
documentation/whitepaper?

> Sorry about the Terminal Server Whitepaper "attachment
> fiasco".  HP will
> host both the Samba and the HP CIFS Server  versions at
>>Attached is a 500KB read-only .doc file with a Samba and Terminal
>>Server
>>whitepaper.  I have tried to hit every known issue and all available
>>workarounds.  If anyone has comments or suggestions, let me know.  JT

Regards
Per Kjetil Grotnes