[Samba] smbmount won't work connecting to W2K on Samba 3

Buchan Milne bgmilne at obsidian.co.za
Mon Jan 26 18:25:27 GMT 2004

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Jon Hardy wrote:

> Anybody know why smbmount won't mount a Windows share on my (Fedora)
> machine? Keep getting:
> 27009: session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
> SMB connection failed
>
> HOWEVER, using smbclient , I CAN connect to the share, so the problem is not
> password encryption, access rights, etc.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated. it all worked fine with Samba 2.2 on Mandrake
> 9.2. Beginning to regret moving to Fedora/ Samba 3.

Especially considering Mandrake 9.2 ships with samba-3.0.0
(parallel-installable with no pain - you an remove samba-client-2.2.8a*
and samba3-client-3.0.0-2mdk binaries will be used for all client
functions) and mount.cifs for both samba and samba3.

Maybe your Windows 2000 server requires signing/sealing or has been
upgraded to 2003, in which case you should try mount.cifs (since smbclient
in 3.0.0 suppots it, but smbfs does not, this most likely your problem).
But, then I don't know if Fedora ships a kernel with cifs, so you'll
likely have to compile it yourself.

Regards,
Buchan