[Samba] Domain + Workgroup with same name: problem?

Alexander Goeres agoeres at lieblinx.net
Mon Jan 26 10:25:34 GMT 2004

Hello everybody!

I finally managed to set up a Samba 3.0.1 PDC that ran perfectly in the
test-environment. Problems arose, when I installed it in a real bureau
network.

On a prepared w2k client that was already a domain member one could log on to
the domain with the administrator's account, but trying to add other w2k
clients failed with error msgs like: "Domain controller not found."

That was strange, because the PDC was obviously there and the Administrator
was already logged in and in the test environment adding a machine worked
without any problems.

After several hours search I found out, that there existed some (hidden in a
back room.. :-\) XP Home clients that were members of a workgroup with the
same name as the domain. They were already running when I introduced the
Samba PDC into the network. When I switched them off and restarted Samba the
PDC could be found sometimes but sometimes not.

After messing around with what I took to be cached data on the Samba Server
refering to WINS aso. I took the radical way and reinstalled Samba with the
same configs but with a different domain name. That solved the problem for
once.

But it leaves a general problem: It looks as if you can render a PDC unusable
if you introduce a machine into its network, that is in a workgoup of the
same name as the domain.

So my question is:
How do I configure the Samba PDC that clients within the same network know who
is the master of the universe and who is just an impostor? Especially the PDC
itself should not get confused about this!

The relevant entries (I think) in my smb.conf are:
	domain master = Yes
        domain logons = Yes
        preferred master = Yes
        wins support = Yes