[Samba] Strange problems with profiles

Tilo Lutz tilo at wms-hn.de
Mon Jan 26 09:14:50 GMT 2004

Hi

I use 2 samba servers (3.0.2rc1). One as PDC the other as
BDC. Both are using ldap (sambaSamAccount) as backend.
If I set profile path only in smb.conf every user gets an
error message when loading a profile: Wrong path syntax.
The clients did a connection to the server.

If I set sambaProfilePath Attribute to the same value as profile path
in smb.conf for a user this user is able to log in and load the profile
most times. Most times it work bit not everytime.
Path and settings for the profile share are still the same.

I have this problem since 3.0.0 with different servers at different
locations.

Maybe I'm using wrong permission. Here's the relevant part of my smb.conf.

Regards Tilo

    os level = 200
    local master = yes
    bind interfaces only = true
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    null passwords = yes
    min password length = 0
    domain logons = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    logon script = %I.bat
    logon drive = h:
    logon home = "\\server\%U"
    logon path = "\\server\profile"
    time server = yes
    dead time = 15
    kernel oplocks = yes
    mangle case = yes
    case sensitive = no
    default case = lower
    preserve case = yes
    short preserve case = yes
    name resolve order = wins bcast host lmhosts
    printing = cups
    load printers = yes
    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
    nt acl support = yes
    log level = 1
    max log size = 100000
    use sendfile = no
    large readwrite = yes
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_RCVBUF=8192
    utmp = yes
    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://localhost guest
    algorithmic rid base = 1000
    printing = cups
    printcap name = cups
    load printers = yes
    unix charset = ISO-8859-15
    unicode = yes
    display charset = UTF8
    dos charset = ISO-8859-15
    unix extensions = yes
    ldap admin dn           =  uid=wilma2,dc=my-domain
    ldap suffix             =             dc=my-domain
    ldap machine suffix     = ou=machines
    ldap group suffix       =   ou=groups
    ldap idmap suffix       =
    ldap user suffix        =   ou=people
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    idmap gid = 30000-40000
    idmap uid = 30000-40000

[netlogon]
    comment = The domain logon service
    veto files = //
    path = /samba/netlogon
    create mode = 0600
    directory mode = 0700
    public = no
    writeable = no
    browseable = no
    root preexec = /samba/netlogon/findgroup %I %u %L
    root postexec = /etc/samba/quota_warn.sh %U %m
    oplocks = no
    level2 oplocks = no
    use sendfile = no

[profile]
    comment = Hier wird das Benutzerprofil gespeichert
    path = /home/%g/%u/profile
    writeable = yes
    browseable = no
    create mask = 0711