[Samba] samba and very large files

Christopher Lyon cslyon at netsvcs.com
Sat Jan 24 18:28:43 GMT 2004

I am seeing a problem that I am not sure how to fix and since I have
never had to use samba for anything major like this I am not sure where
to go. So, here is goes!

I have a few Gentoo systems that currently have a bunch of data on them.
I have been tasked with getting data from some Windows machines to the
Gentoo systems so that we can dump the Windows machines. So, the windows
machines are Windows XP and 2000 server. I am copying some large files,
5.0+ gig range, off these Windows machines and putting them up on the
Gentoo systems. The problem comes in where I am trying to copy anything
that is 7.0+ gigs from the Windows to the Gentoo systems via a mount
statement on the Gentoo systems.

Problem 1: I keep getting Segment faults when I try to copy any file
that is 7+ gigs.
Problem 2: Seems that the files are not reporting the correct size when
I do an 'ls -l' from the mount point to the Windows machine.

Map to Windows Machine from the Gentoo System (See something wrong?)
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=xxxxxxx //boxster/d$
/test

ls -l /test

-rwxr--r--    1 root     root     18446744072700778496 Jan 21 15:18
xxxxxxx.xxx

A 'dir' of the file on the Windows machines

01/21/2004  03:18 PM     7,581,161,472 xxxxxxx.xxx

That seems to be a big difference and maybe problem 1 and problem 2 are
related?

Versions:
samba-2.2.8a on Gentoo with Kernel 2.4.22-gentoo-r5

Any ideas?