[Samba] Samba3.0.1 - can't join new XP Pro pc to domain

mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us mrosamba at eastgranby.k12.ct.us
Thu Jan 22 18:27:51 GMT 2004

We have a very simple samba PDC setup using smbpasswd.  About 10 days ago,
I migrated from RH8/Samba2.2.7 to Fedora/Samba3.0.1 successfully.  Now all
morning, I've been trying to add another XP Pro PC to the domain without
success.  The following message appears after typing in the root
id/password as part of joining the domain.

The following error occured attempting to join the domain "JAVA"
The user name could not be found.

In /var/log/samba, after doing this, I now see a zero length log.PCNAME
file and a zero length log.192.168.3.72 file. where the ip address is that
of the pc.

I am successful in joining this PC to another domain which is still 2.2.7.

When I migrated, I did not change any entries in smb.conf.  This PC has
the registry SignOrSeal patch applied.  In smb.conf, I have the following
statement

add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -c 'Machine
Account' -s /bin/false -M %u

which again was carried forward from samba2.2.7.

Please help.

Mark Orenstein
East Granby, CT School System