[Samba] Migration issue

Chris Ditri chrisd at better-investing.org
Thu Jan 22 16:32:33 GMT 2004

Hello everyone,

My samba has been running so flawlessly, I don't think I have posted here in
about 2 years!

But, the time has come to move our windows domain from NT 4 to windows 2000.

Currently, we run samba 2.0.7 on an old RH 6.2 box which hands off all
authentication to the NT4 pdc (we have no bdc currently).  I would like to
keep this same style of authentication -- where the samba box passes it off
to a windows2k server.  We will be buying a new box to run our new samba file
server on.  I plan to run the most current version of samba there.

I want to minimize downtime during this migration, so I am looking for the
best strategy to do this.

Can samba 2.0.7 authenticate against a windows 2000 active directory server?
If it can, then I can build the new machine, and get it ready while users can
still use the old system.  If it can't... then I am a little stuck.

Has anyone else done this?  Any suggestions?

thanks!

chris