[Samba] Samba 3 problems

Paul Watson paul at oninit.com
Thu Jan 22 12:49:33 GMT 2004

I recently lost my Samba 2.x server, so when it was rebuilt I moved
to Samba 3.latest (last week) as the PDC with a mix of 98/NT/W2k/XP
clients.  I'm using the same smb.conf file and the user areas on the
server have not been changed so all the logon scripts/profiles etc are
the same.

All the Samba shares are there and you can write/create files on the
shares,
but there seems to be a problem with writing changes back to the
registry.
For example, you can't set a default printer (test pages work OK),
when running Word it is always in 'first run' i.e. you need to add
user details, when running WinZip it is always in 'first run' i.e.
you need to configure it everytime, No history is kept in ie5/6.
Logged on as a local user everything works fine

On one of the XP clients I've removed all local directories for the
remote users, and removed all entries for all remote user from the
registry. This has made no difference.

None of the client shares are visible to any roaming user.  The client
shares are visible to local users.

Everything was 100% under Samba 2.x

Anybody know why and can you shed some light on the problem

--
Paul Watson             #
Oninit Ltd              # Growing old is mandatory