[Samba] smbmount / smbfs error - cant load nls charset

Nic Colledge colledge at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 21 19:20:04 GMT 2004

I’m getting this line:

“smbfs: failed to load nls ‘iso8859-16’”

in /var/log/syslog when I try and mount a share on a Windows XP machine
with this line:

mount –t smbfs –o
username=xxx,password=xxx,codepage=cp850,iocharset=iso8859-16,Unicode
//computer/RAID /remote-RAID

How can I overcome this as I believe its preventing filenames from being
copied correctly to the Linux machine, for example É characters are not
copied and a white space character is used instead.

Ive tried this with many different versions of samba and none seem to
work. My currently installed version is: Version 3.0.0-Debian