[Samba] Re: "smbclient -M <machinename>" generates "session requestfailed" - why?

Joshua Beall jbeall at heraldic.us
Wed Jan 21 13:46:16 GMT 2004

"Gerald (Jerry) Carter" <jerry at samba.org> wrote in message
news:400DFB6C.6050608 at samba.org...
> Try "cat message.txt | smbclient -M <machinename>" or
> "smbclient -p 139 -M <machinename>"
>             ^^^^^^

Interesting, I have to specify the port?  It worked when I did this, but not
when I omitted "-p 139".  I think I will make a little script to make it
easier to do "echo -n 'message' | smbclient -p 139 -M <machinename>" by
typing "smbpopup <machinename> 'message'" or something like that.

Thanks for the help, Jerry!

>   Hewlett-Packard            ------------------------- http://www.hp.com
>   SAMBA Team                 ---------------------- http://www.samba.org
>   GnuPG Key                  ---- http://www.plainjoe.org/gpg_public.asc
>   "If we're adding to the noise, turn off this song" --Switchfoot (2003)
Nice credentials list, but I think the best one is the implicit "Switchfoot
Fan" ;-)