[Samba] Winbind local idmap/cache database security concerns

Shawn Iverson shawn at nccsc.k12.in.us
Wed Jan 21 13:22:20 GMT 2004

(Apologies to the list for the double posting...I was having email issues
and wan't sure that my emails were even leaving my domain.)

Are there security problems with pam_smb?  I know that its only apparent
function is to validate passwords on a Samba/NT server.  It lacks much of
the functionality for which I am looking.

> The idmap ldap backend is about ensuring a consistant UID mapping on
> each machine, so things like NFS do not break.
>
> > However, with the
> > latter, all the features that winbind supports are lost
> since winbind is not
> > running on the local machine (such as changing ones
> password) so I currently
> > see no other way of implementing winbind.
>
> Why are you not running winbind on each machine?  I'm a bit confused -
> the idea is that you run winbindd on each client, so that they can
> participate in the domain.

Believe me, I have been quite confused myself!  I was originally led to
believe that winbind belonged only on a server and that clients did not need
it at all, that somehow they accessed the server for winbind support.  I
have learned since that this is definitely not the case.

> > What will keep a user from reading
> /var/cache/samba/winbind_cache.tdb and
> > winbind_idmap.tdb?  I know that the owner is root and that
> the each has the
> > permissions 0600 (idmap had 0644, but I changed it to
> 0600).  Despite that,
> > isn't it easy enough for a user to crack the filesystem and
> gain access to
> > these databases if so he/she wished?
>
> Indeed - but they could also run 'getent group' and 'getent passwd' -
> it's much faster ;-).  This information is available to any
> user who is
> in the domain.

I found out that setting winbind enum users=no and winbind enum groups=no
prevents getent from displaying domain information.  I am unsure of the
potential consequences of turning off enumeration, though.