[Samba] Samba winbind secondary group problem

asim_is at comcast.net asim_is at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 01:40:15 GMT 2004

Hello all,

I am having some serious problems getting winbind to recognize secondary group memberships.  I have a samba server version samba-3.0.0-14.3E running on RHES v.3.
This is running on a 2x Xeon 2.4 Ghz IBM Server with 2G Ram.  nscd is not running.
See below for smb.conf.

cat /proc/version:  Linux version 2.4.21-9.ELsmp (bhcompile at stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-26)) #1 SMP Thu Jan 8 17:08:56 EST 2004

I have joined the domain with: net rpc join -U administrator -r PDC
I successfully joined the domain. passdb backend = smbpasswd. wbinfo -u shows all the domain users and wbinfo -g shows all the domain groups.  ls -l shows the correct domain user/group ownerships.  Users can access shares owned by them or their PRIMARY domain group.  But when they try to access a share owned by a secondary group that they belong to, it is access denied.  The only way I can get a secondary group to resolve is by putting a local unix group in /etc/group and giving it the same GID as the corresponding domain group, then adding the users to the local unix group.

I have a RedHat 9 box with the same configuration that works the way it's supposed to - ie - honoring secondary group memberships from the domain(of course it is samba version samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0).

This is a very critical situation for us.  Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a snip from the samba log file(shows 3 supplementary groups even though this user belongs to about 20 groups).

[2004/01/20 19:17:44, 5] auth/auth_util.c:debug_unix_user_token(505)
  UNIX token of user 10504
  Primary group is 10013 and contains 3 supplementary groups
  Group[  0]: 10013
  Group[  1]: 10013
  Group[  2]: 10029

#Begin smb.conf
passdb backend = smbpasswd
#winbind configuration------>
        winbind separator = +
        winbind use default domain =  yes
        template shell  = /bin/false
        template homedir = /netarray/shares/home/%U
        idmap uid = 10000-20000
        idmap gid = 10000-20000
#end winbind configuration----->
   security = domain
   password server = PDC BDC
   password level = 8
   username level = 8

[Shared]
 available = yes
 browseable = yes
 comment =
 path = /netarray/shares/Shared
 public = no
 writable = yes
 valid users = @"Domain Users" @"Domain Admins" @"Global ITS" @d_users @d_admins @g_its
 invalid users = internet1 internet2 hrtest