[Samba] SQL 2000 Failed Authentication

Jerry Haltom jhaltom at feedbackplusinc.com
Mon Jan 19 20:44:47 GMT 2004

I am runnign a Samba 3.0.1 PDC, serving a domain named FEEDBACK. Joined
to this domain we have about 30 workstations and 2 Windows 2000 Servers.
These servers run MS SQL Server 2000. SQL Server is using Windows
authentication. This allows users/applications on our LAN to connect to
the server using Windows authentication.

This process has been "flakey" for the last month, with authentication
failing (SQL applications say: "username (null) not associated with a
trusted connection). Since upgrading to Samba 3.0.1 about 2 days ago, it
has barely worked. It does work, if you try to connect enough times.
Perhaps 1/10 times.

I am unable to put a finger on what is causing the problem. We are not
having other problems with other computers or services on our network.
People can log in and access their shares just fine.

Both SQL servers show hte same problems, with no helpful messages in the
event log:

SubSystem Message - Job 'DOTTIE-Clients-GREG-13'
(0x7FAE23BF34367744869B36C09E3B81D2), step 2 - Login failed for user
'(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.
The process could not connect to Subscriber 'GREG'.

We have tried rebooting both servers, as well as disjoining and
rejoining one to the domain. The disjoining and rejoining is flawless,
but it doesn't fix the problem. We are unable to determine what to try
next.

Can anybody help us out? Thanks.

Please include me in the reply.

Jerry Haltom