[Samba] Filename for printing?

kend at xanoptix.com kend at xanoptix.com
Mon Jan 19 20:04:22 GMT 2004

Hi, all.  I'm trying to create a PDF queue... or, rather, I already have a
homebrew solution I hacked together with an lprng filter, and it doesn't
work too well.  The solution at www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/bright.html,
which uses the smb.conf and "print command" paramaters, appears to be much
more elegant, but has one major shortfall: I don't see any way to get the
filename of the file I'm printing.  The jobname gives me:

For websites:  the URL (which is great)
For apps (eg. Word): "Microsoft" (which is less great)

Many of the documents my users will be printing have detailed part
descriptions and partnumbers; it'd be a drag to not be able to have those
automatically associated with the PDFs being generated.  Does anyone see
an elegant way to make this work?  Or is it back to my inelegant, but
functional, lprng solution?

Thanks!

Ken D'Ambrosio
Sr. SysAdmin,