[Samba] Re: loading print driver question

Dragan Krnic dkrnic at lycos.com
Mon Jan 19 13:51:11 GMT 2004

> I am trying to add print drivers for a samba shared
> printer to a Windows 2000 group - Everything up to
> this step works - I am using Samba 3.0.1
>
> rpcclient -d 100 -Uroot -c 'adddriver "Windows NT x86" \
> E323:LMAAE1DD.dll:\
> LMAAE1P1.PPD:LMAAE1DA.DLL:LMAAE1DA.HLP:NULL:RAW:\
> LMAA1B1.DLL,LMAAE1BJ.DLL,LMAAE1BT.DLL,LMAAE1DA.ALL,\
> LMAAE1ED.DLL,LMAAE1PI.EXE,LMAAE1TD.DLL,LMAAE1TE.DLL,\
> LMAAE1DA.CNT,LMAAE1DF.DLL,LMAAE1DL.DLL,LMAAE1PU.DLL,\
> LMAAE1SE.DLL,LMAAE1TF.DLL,LMAAE1TH.HLP,LMAAE1UZ.ZIP' SambaEnt
>
> The result I get is:
>
> result was WERR_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> In the log.smbd I get the following error:
>
>[2004/01/18 17:29:22, 0] printing/pcap.c:pcap_printer_fn(361)
>  Unable to open printcap file cups for read!
>
> I'm not sure whats causing this error. I have changed the
> permissions on the /etc/printcap file to be wide open, and
> that doesn't seem to work either. Can anyone shed some light
> on where I might have messed up?

There are too many single points of failure - correct spelling
and ordering of parameters, existence of driver files at the
right location, perms on the target model subdir etc. But all
these can usually be precisely detected by using a proper debug
level - of smbd, NOT of rpcclient. Jump the debug level with
smbcontrol and then look in the client log file after the
failure.