[Samba] cifs-vfs connecting to Netware 6 running cifs.nlm

Simon Crute simon-lists at geordie.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 11:53:40 GMT 2004

Hi All,
   I've got some problems accessing data on a netware server 6.0 running
cifs.nlm from a Suse9 linux box.

I was origanally trying to access it via smbfs however there were
problems with files being truncated when writing and not being read
properly.

After reading through the archives to this list/newsgroup, I figured I
might have better luck with the cifs-vfs module. However it isn't even
mounting the filesystem, and is causing bad password attempts to be
registered on the netware server.

I've taken a trace of the network communication and a couple of things
stand out.

The trace for the SMB mount has a field in the "session setup ANDX
request" packet called "ANSI Password" and "Unicode Password".

The trace for the CIFS mount only has a "Unicode Password" field, and
the strings are different.

Is this the cause of my problem, or am I barking up the wrong tree ?

And even if it is (or isn't) where do I go from here ?

Thanks for any help.