[Samba] Problem with Samba

P.Jensen at ophtec.com P.Jensen at ophtec.com
Mon Jan 19 10:44:29 GMT 2004

Hey all,

I have got a problem with getting samba to work right for me. I am not a
complete newbie, however files concerning security (like the pam files and
nsswitch.conf) is not my strongest point

What i done so far is edit the smb.conf to my likings and i added the
linux server to my PDC. That part went fine, however i wanted to use the
group names from the NT domain for secutiry within the smb.conf (Valid
used @groupname). So i read in some documents i found on the internet that
i had to use winbind. I followed all steps according to document :
de.samba.org/samba/docs/man/winbindd.8.html
I edited the /etc/nsswitch.conf file and the /etc/pam.d/samba file with
the changes mentioned in the document mentioned above.

When i start the winbindd (from /etc/rc.d/init.d/winbindd start) i see in
the /etc/log/samba/log.winbindd the following :

[2004/01/19 10:23:14, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2065)
Unknown parameter encountered: "idmap uid"
[2004/01/19 10:23:14, 0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(2740)
Ignoring unknown parameter "idmap uid"
[2004/01/19 10:23:14, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(2065)
Unknown parameter encountered: "idmap gid"
[2004/01/19 10:23:14, 0] param/loadparm.c:lp_do_parameter(2740)
Ignoring unknown parameter "idmap gid"
[2004/01/19 10:23:15, 0] nsswitch/winbindd_util.c:winbindd_param_init(326)
winbind uid range missing or invalid

When i try the wbinfo -u command i get : Error looking up domain users.

My /etc/pam.d/samba looks like this atm :

#%PAM-1.0
#auth required pam_nologin.so
#auth required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_first_pass shadow nullok

#account required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account required /lib/security/pam_winbind.so
session required pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required pam_stack.so service=system-auth

My /etc/nsswitch.conf looks like this atm :
passwd: files winbind
shadow: files
group: files winbind

hosts: files nisplus dns

bootparams: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

ethers: files
netmasks: files
networks: files
protocols: files nisplus
rpc: files
services: files nisplus

netgroup: files nisplus

publickey: nisplus

automount: files nisplus
aliases: files nisplus

Anymore info i got has to do with the winbindd .. it doesnt seem to start
oke, i can constandly start it and start it ..when i try to stop the
service i get an error .. so there is something wrong in there .. i just
cant fingure out what it is.

The erros i mentioned above from the log.winbindd with the unknown
parameter he probably gets from my smb.conf file. According to the
document i mentioned above you had to add a few lines to the smb.conf :
idmap uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind seperator = +
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes

Thats all the info i can think off right now to give you all .. i really
would appriciate some help since im stuck atm.

Thanx in advance for replying, If the smb.conf file is needed in this
thread then pls let me know.

With best regards,
rizza