[Samba] Re: Share Unavailable

Norman Zhang nzhang at arkon-group.com
Fri Jan 16 20:34:46 GMT 2004

> I have files rsync'd from an old samba server. When I try to run
> testparam I see the following notice. Samba is running on the new
> server. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> NOTE: Service homes is flagged unavailable.
> Processing section "[transfer]"
> NOTE: Service transfer is flagged unavailable.
> Loaded services file OK.
> Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directories
>         path = %H
>         read only = No
>
> [transfer]
>         comment = Temporary Storage
>         path = /usrswap/transfer
>         read only = No
>         create mask = 0777
>         directory mask = 0777

I managed to get flagged unavailable disappear by adding available = yes
for both [homes] and [transfer]. However, I still can't see the shares
under the new server. I don't get it, I'm running the same config and
same version of samba on both machines. The old one don't need available
= yes. Is there something very trivial that I'm doing wrong?

Regards,
Norman