[Samba] Mapping a drive letter to a Samba share

Brian Spiegel BSpiegel at Matchnet.com
Thu Jan 15 23:11:33 GMT 2004

Hey guys,

I'm in kind of a crunch right now.  Due to a poorly written script that I
don't have control over, I need to be able to map a drive letter to a Samba
share so that it works seamlessly with UNC (i.e \\server\Share
<file:///\\server\Share> ).

Basically, I need a way for a share name with a $ in it to be recognized as
a valid network name.  My current setup is like so:

[Pickup]
    comment = Pickup
    path = /pickup
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    guest only = Yes

[C$\inetpub\mailroot\Pickup]
    comment = Other Pickup, Same Target Directory
    path = /pickup
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
    guest only = Yes

Now, C$ is standard UNC for the root directory on Windows ( C: ).  The
"Pickup" share works great.  However, the share with "C$" in the title gives
me a "Network name could not be found" error dialog.

Has anyone had to do this before?  How can it be done?  I'm in a serious
time crunch at this point and the owner of the application that uses this
access method is not going to have time to change it.

Any help or guidance on how this could be done would be greatly appreciated.
Time is running short.

Thanks,
Brian