[Samba] copying from Win to Linux

Brian Spiegel BSpiegel at Matchnet.com
Thu Jan 15 19:05:29 GMT 2004

Thanks, Rashkae.

I have ReiserFS installed on two 18GB SCSI 10k drives with RAID 1.  I think
this should be sufficient.  But if there's a performance improvement on the
networking end between Samba 2.x and 3.x, I'd like to consider it.

And yes, the files will potentially be in the tens of thousands at any given
time (it's basically a large-scale email solution).

Thanks,
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Rashkae [mailto:rashkae at tigershaunt.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 10:51 AM
To: Brian Spiegel
Subject: Re: [Samba] copying from Win to Linux

If there are a large number of these small files (in the thousands),
you'll most deffinately want a ReiserFS filesystem.  A well tuned FS
will make more of a performance difference.  I haven't tested JFS or
XFS in this scenario, but EXT just can't handle writing a large number
of small files in a single directory.

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 10:22:41AM -0800, Brian Spiegel wrote:
> As a related follow-up to Tarjei's question:
>
> I too am going to be copying large amounts of files from a Windows
2000/2003
> server to a Linux box running Samba.  The files range from 2K to 30K
> (sometimes upwards of 50K).  The files are being copied basically as fast
as
> they can be generated (by separate applications) and transferred over the
> wire.
>
> I currently have a Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 (the Debian stable package)
installed,