[Samba] copying from Win to Linux

Brian Spiegel BSpiegel at Matchnet.com
Thu Jan 15 18:22:41 GMT 2004

As a related follow-up to Tarjei's question:

I too am going to be copying large amounts of files from a Windows 2000/2003
server to a Linux box running Samba.  The files range from 2K to 30K
(sometimes upwards of 50K).  The files are being copied basically as fast as
they can be generated (by separate applications) and transferred over the
wire.

I currently have a Samba 2.2.3a-12.3 (the Debian stable package) installed,
but I'm considering installing 3.0.0 or 3.0.1.  I've heard that Samba 3.0
and above have definite advantages in speed over 2.x.x.

My question is this:  Can anyone discuss the performance difference between
Samba 3 and 2 in quantitative terms or point me to web sources that do?
Specifically in a situation where files (averaging around 30K in size) are
being copied across the network from a Windows 200x machine to a Linux box.
The files, once written, will be read by a single Linux process only.  No
Windows server will be accessing the files once they're copied over.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.  I need to make a decision
today.

Thanks,
Brian