Réf. : [Samba] Samba Tuning

Xavier DRONIOU xavier.droniou at RTE-FRANCE.COM
Thu Jan 15 16:26:45 GMT 2004

I've the same problem on solaris 8 with samba 2.2.8a i've try many options
like theses:
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_KEEPALIVE SO_SNDBUF=16384
SO_RCVBUF=16384
read raw = yes
write raw = yes
oplocks = no
getwd cache = yes

Add this on your global section and try to see if you get improvement

Envoyé par : samba-bounces+xavier.droniou=rte-france.com at lists.samba.org
Pour :  samba at lists.samba.org
cc :     (ccc : Xavier DRONIOU/RTE/GRT/FR)
Objet : [Samba] Samba Tuning

The contents of this email are intended exclusively for the
addressee. If you are not the addressee you must not read
use or disclose the email contents ; you should notify us
immediately [ by clicking "Reply" ] and delete this email.

Nationwide monitors e-mails to ensure its systems operate
effectively and to minimise the risk of viruses.  Whilst it has
taken reasonable steps to scan this email, it does not
accept liability for any virus that may be contained in it.

Following problems with samba performance on a Solaris 9 box I have traced
this to the number of files being accessed by an application... Seems when
process is kicked off on the client it goes to a directory which has many
thousands of small files and does some processing on them, while this is
running samba performance drop dramatically.

It seems performance is fine when dealing with a small number of large
files
but when dealing with many thousands of small files (4k or so) it's a
different story.

Is there any tuning I can do to improve the situation?

Samba Server: SunFire V880 running Solaris 9 (112233-08)
Samba Client: Compaq ProLient ML570 running W2K SP3

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from pq04464.admin.nbsnet.co.uk (10.200.41.127)
# Date: 2004/01/09 12:33:30

# Global parameters
[global]
netbios name = UXHSMSVC01
server string =
encrypt passwords = Yes
username map = /etc/sfw/smbusers
log level = 1
log file = /var/samba/%m.log
show add printer wizard = No
socket address = 10.192.34.61
oplocks = No

[mfs_cell_1]
comment = File Scanning - Cell 1
path = /mfs/Scan_Cell_1/export
guest account =
valid users = mfssvc
read only = No

[nlife]
comment = Life
path = /nlife/export
guest account =
valid users = nlifesvc
read only = No

Have set oplocks = No as many processes my access the same files at the
same
time and thaught we maybe spending a lot of time oplock processing. Made
no
difference...

Logs are not showing errors (at log_level 3) but have a lot of activity...

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Harris
Nationwide Building Society