[Samba] permission bits clobbered

Panko, Kevin kevin.panko at pw.utc.com
Thu Jan 15 15:54:40 GMT 2004

The '>' creates a new file, but ONLY if the file did NOT exist before.  If
it does exist, the file's contents are replaced, but it still the same file.

This is the way it works on both Windows and Unix.
This command:
echo foobar > secretfile
Does not clobber the permissions (or NTFS ACLs) on Unix (or Windows).
But it does clobber them when Samba is involved.

It makes no sense to say that the act of editting a text file has any effect
on its security permissions.  (Whether it be in notepad.exe or on the
command line as I have shown.)