[Samba] W2k client using "synchronize" on a samba configured RH Linux 9 file server ...

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Thu Jan 15 14:19:43 GMT 2004

Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> Krister Ripstrand wrote on December 16, 2003:
>
>> ... does not work.
>>
>> I use the W2k  functionality "synchronize" on my laptop to have
>> up2date synchronized copies of  my files both at the laptop and the
>> file server.
>> The file server is a P 200 MHz running RH Linux 9.
>> When on-line the synchronization of files works, except for my swedish
>> letters "åäö". However when off-line working with my files, then
>> reconnecting to the network and issuing a synchronization it fails.
>> The updating of the files on the server fails.
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong here or is the SMB protocol used by samba
>> not up2date to support this W2k functionality?
>> My samba version is 3.0.0-2
>

> Did you ever find a solution to the problem of synchronization not
> working?
>
> I'm having the same problem here, with w2k clients and
> a server running redhat 9 and rh's samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0.
>
> The file system is ext3.
>
>  From the logfile, it looks like W2K is creating a temporary
> file for the file being synchronized, and it tries to
> set some permissions for this file. This fails. Snip
> from the logfile:
>
> Is there any solution to this problem that doesn't involve
> changing the file system or running samba-3 (we are not
> quite ready for this yet)?

Hm, installing samba-2.2.7-3.7.3.i386.rpm from
the RedHat 7.3 updates on a RedHat 9 machine seems to fix this problem.

- I just wonder if this would break something else, before I put
this on our production server...

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk