[Samba] Question regarding user or group quantity limits

PIGNOL, Christian christian_pignol at merck.com
Thu Jan 15 08:18:17 GMT 2004

Hello Brian,

For your information, I've found the solution ... For Redhat 9.0 I suppose !

In the "smb.conf" the "winbind uid" and "winbind gid" parameters indicates
respectvely the uid and gid range  dynamically allocated during remote
identifications ... By defaults winbind uid=10000-20000 and winbind
gid=10000-20000 ... This values explains than you don't retrieve all your
windows users and groups ! After uid (or gid) reach the upper limit of the
range (20000) the getent command is stopped.

In another way, the "/etc/login.defs file" (redhat 9.0) contain some
parameters which are also importants in this situation ... like maximum uid
for the "useradd" command an maximum gid for the "groupadd" command. This
file is probably different on RH Enterprise 3.0 !

After increasing the "login.defs" parameters and the winbind uid and gid in
the "smb.conf", I'm now able (after a very very long time of course !) to
see all my windows domain users and groups with the "getent passwd" and
"getent group" commands.

Regards

Christian PIGNOL
* (+33) 473 67 62 96