[Samba] My story installing Samba-LDAP PDC (it has a happy ending)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 15 02:40:02 GMT 2004

--
The truth is, with 3.0.0 on RH AS 3, I got it running, ldap backend,
with a BDC and master/slave LDAP servers. It was hard.

The documentation in the How-to is sufficient. But it seems more like an
extended man page than a how-to. The problem is that there are so many
different ways these tools are used that there is absolutely no way the
documentation can have the exact instructions for what you are trying to
set up.

John is apparently writing a book of example setups - which might be
what you are looking for.

The truth of the matter regarding machine accounts and LDAP (probably
for the other backends as well) is that even with 2.x.x samba, machine
accounts were located in the same data tree with the users. You
certainly can tell smbldap-tools and samba and nsswitch.conf to put
computer accounts in ou=Computers,dc=domain,dc=org but when it comes
time that the OS needs to verify their existence/passwords/trust - they
aren't gonna be found.

I don't know when it will be fixed to track with what would be our
expectations...perhaps one of the developers will clue us in.

In the meantime, your post - though well intentioned was way too long to
actually seriously consider digesting.

Craig