[Samba] Another Samba and Mac OS 10.3 Question

AndyLiebman at aol.com AndyLiebman at aol.com
Wed Jan 14 19:01:52 GMT 2004

I have a different Samba and Mac OS 10.3 question. I have a small network in
my office with a Linux box acting as a file server, mostly Windows XP clients,
and a couple of Macs. When I create Samba shares on the Linux box, I have no
problem getting my Windows XP users to be able to read and write to the
shares. The login name and password on the XP boxes are the same as the
corresponding Linux AND Samba usernames and passwords -- and all users are in the same
common group called "writers"

>From the Mac, however, it's a different story. Mac users can mount the Samba
shares and gain READ access, but they are UNABLE TO WRITE to the shares.
Again, the Mac usernames and passwords are the SAME as the corresponding Linux and
Samba usernames and passwords.

Is there something that I have to do on the Mac to allow users to write to
the common shares?

By the way, I'm using Samba 3.0.0. I'll upgrade to 3.0.1 when there's a
Mandrake rpm.

Here's my smb.conf file:

[global]
   workgroup = WRITERS
   netbios name = WRITERSPACE
   server string = WRITERSPACE %v
   map to gues = Bad User
   log file = /var/log/samba3/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   printcap name = cups
   dns proxy = No
   wins support = Yes
   printer admin = @adm
   printing = cups

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   read only = No
   browseable = No

[printers]
   Not relevant here

[print$]
   Not relevant here

[pdf-generator]
   Not relevant here

[InProgress]
    comment = Stories
    path = /home/raid/InProgress
    write list = @staffwriters
    read only = No
    guest ok = Yes
# Option 1 Use the following line to make all new files editable by all users
#   inherit permissions = yes

# Option 2 Use the following two lines to make all new files editable by all
users
     create mask = 0775
     directory mask = 0775
# Option 3 Use the following 2 lines to get Mac users to be able to write to
directory as well as PC Users
#   force user = theboss
#   force group = staffwriters

I would prefer to use Option 2 or maybe Option 1 but they don't seem to work
with the Mac. Option 3 does give Mac Users read/write access, but there are
reasons why I don't want to use it.

Any ideas about getting the Macs to cooperate with Option 2 or 1?

Thanks in advance

Andy Liebman