[Samba] Difference Between Domain and ADS security In Reference to Realms

Harmon, Leigh lharmo02 at harris.com
Wed Jan 14 16:57:28 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've been researching which type of security to use with Samba 3.0.1 and I still
don't understand what the difference is between "security=DOMAIN" versus
"security=ADS."  I complied Samba to include ADS support, and I initially chose
"security=DOMAIN."  When I use the "net" command I can add it to my domain.
However, if I set "realm=our.ads.realm" and do the same "net" command, then I
get a message saying that server was added to the realm.  What is the difference
between adding the Samba server to the realm using "security=DOMAIN" versus
adding it to the realm using "security=ADS?"

Thanks!!