[Samba] Samba 3.0.1: Problems with downloading printer driver

Simon Kämpflein simon.kaempflein at rowe.de
Wed Jan 14 14:04:33 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've a problem with Samba 3.0.1: printing with cups works fine when I
install the driver on windows (2000/NT) manual. But setting up a print$
share for downloading the drivers on the fly doesn't work. I installed
the drivers with cupsaddsmb, which seems to work fine. No error is shown
(even with -v). When I try to install the driver on windows it says that
the server hasn't any drivers and I should install them manual. Showing
the printer properties with right click on the printer doesn't work,
too. The following error shows up in the samba log:
[2004/01/14 10:37:14, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy_fn(595)
   ERROR: string overflow by 1 (17 - 16) in safe_strcpy
[FBA2-100-0030051FDEFC]

FBA2-100-0030051FDEFC seems to be something like the name of the
printer, I saw it under windows, too.

When I use Samba 2.2.8a with the same configuration, everything works fine.

smb.conf:
# Global parameters
[global]
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         map to guest = Bad User
         log file = /usr/local/samba2/log.%m
         printer admin = root
         guest ok = Yes
         printing = cups

[printers]
         comment = All Printers
         path = /tmp
         create mask = 0700
         printable = Yes
         browseable = No

[print$]
         comment = Printer Driver Download Area
         path = /usr/local/samba/drivers
         write list = root

The System is an old one with libc-2.1.3 and cups-1.1.20.

Simon