[Samba] homes share now prevents access to static share

Keith Kube nikanj_akin at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 09:57:34 GMT 2004

User share is preventing access to static share.
How do I fix?

User (masters) with home directory (/home/masters) the
same name as a permanent share (masters -
/disk1/masters) is picking up the 'home' share
/home/masters directory instead of the 'masters'
share.

All other users mapping to share masters pick up the
correct folder /disk1/masters. Only user masters is
getting the incorrect (to my way of thinking) folder.

Previously I was running redhat 8.0 with samba
2.something, and this was working fine.

User Masters was the only user allowed to update a
masters directory.

All other users had read only permission to the
masters directory and all was good.
This is per the documentation for samba 2.0 included
in the swat application.

I have recently rebuilt the linux server, which is now
on fedora 1 samba version: 3.0.0-15.
I copied the directories section of smb.conf from the
old installation to the new installation.
Directory structure for samba shared files are very
similar.

Windows Client is running win98se, logging onto the
samba domain.

Just for the record
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 192.168.0.48 (192.168.0.48)
# Date: 2004/01/13 22:11:41

# Global parameters
[global]
workgroup = MONASH
server string = Samba Server
guest account = guest
unix password sync = Yes
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192
SO_SNDBUF=8192
logon script = logon.bat
domain logons = Yes
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
dns proxy = No
wins support = Yes
ldap ssl = no
homedir map = /home/%U
hosts allow = 192.168.0., 127.

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
browseable = No

[masters]
path = /disk1/masters
guest ok = Yes

[netlogon]
comment = Logon Directory
path = /etc/samba/netlogon
guest ok = Yes

logon.bat
echo Setting Current Time...
net time \\junior /set /yes
echo Mapping Network Drives to Samba Server Junior ...
net use u: /home /yes
net use x: \\junior\masters /yes
net use p: \\junior\public /yes
net use z: \\junior\masters /yes