[Samba] plain text password authentication

Peter Blajev peter at castandcrew.com
Tue Jan 13 21:14:16 GMT 2004

Hi,

I've got Samba-3.0.1 running on my SuSE-7.2 server
with "encrypt passwords = yes" option.
It worked well. Here is part of the smb.conf file:

---- snip ---
     encrypt passwords	= yes

     security		= user
     password level	= 8
     map to guest	= Bad User
     guest account	= pcguest

--- snip ---

Now I decided to "downgrade" to plain text passwords.
So I setup "encrypt passwords = no" and restart Samba.
Then on my XP machine I applied WinXP_PlainPassword.reg
and reboot.

Now when I try to connect it keeps asking me for user name and
password over and over again. I'm sure I'm giving the right password.
Here is the log entry:

--- snip ---
[2004/01/13 12:59:09, 0] auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(810)
  smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User peter !
--- snip ---

What I'm doing wrong?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thank you