[Samba] Problems connecting to non-public SAMBA-shares

Michael P. Dobmeier dobmeier.michael at web.de
Mon Jan 12 12:30:42 GMT 2004

Dear Experts,

I have the following problem and I would be very happy, if someone had an
idea, what to do.

Under SuSE 9.0 I installed a SAMBA-Server to which three Windows-XP Clients
are connecting.

With one XP-Client-PC (client1) no user has any problems to connect to the
public _and_ non-public (user/password-dependent) shares; from the other two
Clients (client2 and client3) nobody can connect to the non-public shares
(here: homes and testshare), but connecting to the public shares (here:
transfer) is also possible here.

The smb.conf is attached to the end of this email and for the sake of
clarity an extract of the log.smb can be found at
http://home.t-online.de/home/M.P.D : the left-side in the table there is the
log of an access from client1, whereas the right side represents an
unsuccessful access from client2. Up to line ... everthing seems to be ok
(IMHO).

Many thanks in advance,

Michael

My smb.conf:
============

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = TESTWG
	netbios name = SMBTESTSERVER
	server string = Samba Server
	interfaces = eth0 lo
	bind interfaces only = Yes
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	log level = 3
	printcap name = CUPS
	character set = ISO8859-1
	os level = 65
	dns proxy = No
	wins support = Yes
	hosts allow = 192.168.0.0/16 client1.testdomain.tdl client2.testdomain.tdl
client3.testdomain.tdl
	printing = cups

[homes]
	comment = Home Directories