[Samba] syncing file dates between windows nt4 and samba 3.0

Kristian Rink krink at pm-planc.de
Sun Jan 11 09:46:09 GMT 2004

Hi Daniel et al,...

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 22:13:17 -0600
"Daniel Johnson" <Progman2000 at usa.net> wrote:

> > > After playing around with dos filetime and fake directory
> > > create filetimes without any success: Can anyone enlighten me
> > > in this
> topic?
>
> What systems are in use?  I ask because I had a similar
> always-updating problem when mirroring a website onto a FAT32
> partition.  FAT's timestamps are only kept to 2-second precision
> (IIRC), but the website was on EXT2.  The FAT system appeared to
> round the timestamps *down*, so every time wget compared them it
> thought my copy was old.  I found that putting a 'touch *' at the
> end of that script took care of the problem.

Hmmm, I remember problems like these with FAT, too. Anyhow, in this
situation, I'm moving files from NTFS(NT4) to XFS(Linux), I'm not
sure whether there is a similar timestamp problem about NTFS (guess
there's not). By now, finally I've ended up with two options to get
around this timestamp problem:

(a) running "xcopy /m" as recommended here (thanks Dan!) to copy
files depending on whether or not the archive bit is set or

(b) using rsync to get the files updated, with rsync running on the
NT or the Linux machine to get the job done.

Speaking about rsync and even while probably being a little
off-topic with this on a SAMBA list: Is there a way to speed up the
"building file list" process while starting rsync? The problem about
the file system I am about to copy is: There are literally millions
of files (1000 directories, 1000 subdirectories each, several files
in each of the subdirectories), so building file lists in rsync
takes astoundingly long.

Anyhow, thanks for all your inspirations; have a nice sunday anyone!

Cheers,
Kris

--
Kristian Rink 	-- Programmierung/Systembetreuung
planConnect GmbH * Strehlener Str. 12 - 14 * 01069 Dresden
0351 4657702 * 0176 24472771 * krink at pm-planc.de