[Samba] Problem with internal traffic

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Sat Jan 10 00:23:59 GMT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, patrick wrote:

> Have 4 harddrives hde,hdg etc all of these drives are mounted in samba.
> When i copy file from one drive to another i notice that server sends
> the file to my computer and then back to itself (into the right place).
> The file will be copied but doing so it will eat half of my network
> bandwith.
>
> Is it possible to aviod this?

Other than saying, we feel your pain, that's the way it is.

The problem is that the client is in control. The client reads a file and
then writes it. The client does not tell the server what it is going to go
with the file before it starts to read it.

Now I know one thing that would be neat, wouldn't it be neat if we could
build a server that could read our minds! Oops, that might not be such a
good idea given what I sometimes think about servers. ;)

- John T.
--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org