[Samba] Permissions problem

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Fri Jan 9 15:54:39 GMT 2004

Hi everyone (oh yeah, and I am new to the list but have a little Samba
experience).

I have a Samba 3.0.1 install on a Fedora Core 1 (.2138 kernel non-smp -
not that it should matter for this). I have created a group called
"osla" for the users in my domain and I have Samba working properly as a
PDC, or at least properly in so far as I can join clients to the server,
run scripts and so forth. I am using the simple 'smbpasswd' backend and
have made sure that users are members of the "osla" group and that their
passwords are the same as the Linux 'passwd' passwords. Finally, I
chown'ed all the files and folders in the 'public' share to 'root:osla'
and then chmod'ed all of the same files to '775'.

My problem is that when the user runs a program from their workstation
that needs to write to the public share it fails saying that it has
insufficient permissions (ie: Quickbooks; app is on the client PC but
the data file is on the Samba share). If I then chmod the effected file
to '777' and the program suddenly works. Oh, the workstations are all
Wind2k Pro SP4 machines.

The best I can guess is that despite the user being logged in and a
member of "osla" the program must be running under another credential.
Am I right here? Users manually can create, delete and edit folders and
files and apps like MS Office can open and edit files.

Can anyone point me to what may be wrong and perhaps suggest a better
way to resolve the problem without chmod'ing directories and files 777?

Many thanks!!

Madison