[Samba] strange behaviour of smbpasswd after upgrade to samba.3.0.0

Schreiber Martin martin.a.schreiber at siemens.com
Fri Jan 9 09:18:35 GMT 2004

Hello,

I have a serious problem after upgrading from samba.2.2.8a -> 3.0.0(1)
We have security = domain in both samba-versions ; for "normal" domain users
nothing has changed , but we need to authenticate external users , who are
not members of our native win2k domain via the smbpasswd mechanism. The user
got a login-screen and authenticated himself via his
"unix-login" and the smbpasswd program. Under samba.2.2.8a no problems at
all. After upgrading to samba.3.0.0(1) that never works...

--------------------------logfile-entry---------------------------

  domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user lruser in
domain
WW300 to Domain controller \\VIES12KA. Error was NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER.
[2004/01/09 09:53:25, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection_snum(627)
  Can't become connected user!

We run that 2 versions with identical smb.conf files, and it is reproducable
on other servers too , when i go back to older version it works again. Seems
to be there are changes in the authentication procedure.

How can commit these changes , ore if not can give me some hints to resolve
this problem ??

Thanks in advance for your efforts.

kind regards		Martin Schreiber

      Siemens Business Services