[Samba] How do I get Winbind accounts in LDAP?

Ganguly, Sapan Sapan.Ganguly at thalesgroup.com
Thu Jan 8 17:39:18 GMT 2004

John,

Wbinfo -u lists all my NT user and wbinfo -g lists all my NT groups.

Here is a copy of my smb.conf, I took it from a working Redhat 9.0 machine I
built.

[global]

# LDAP stuff for the idmap backend

ldap admin dn = cn=root,dc=uk,dc=trt,dc=thales
ldap suffix = dc=uk,dc=trt,dc=thales
ldap idmap suffix = ou=idmap

# Winbind stuff

winbind separator = -
idmap uid = 10000-20000
winbind uid = 10000-20000
idmap gid = 10000-20000
winbind gid = 10000-20000
winbind enum users = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind use default domain = yes
#template homedir = /home/%D/%U
#template homedir = /home/%U
template homedir = /mnt/spare/%U
template shell = /bin/bash
idmap backend = ldap:ldap://lnxs001

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = DOMAIN

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = SUN001

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
   local master = no

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#	Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT
both
   wins server = 192.168.224.25

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

Thanks,
Sapan