[Samba] Re: Samba groups

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Jan 7 12:24:51 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 04:17, Jamrock wrote:
> "Craig White" <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote in message
> news:1073446316.27620.51.camel at lin-workstation.azapple.com...
> > If you are going to use LDAP - you need to learn, feel comfortable and
> > use LDAP  ---  first
> >
> > Craig
>
> I am comfortable with LDAP.  I have been using it as a directory server for
> a year or so.  I have been using Samba 2.x as a PDC  for over a year.  No
> problems there.
>
> I recently moved to Samba 3.x.  Uers can log in, access profiles and all
> that.  I  need some clarity on the process of mapping groups in Samba 3.x
> using LDAP.
>
> The mapping is automatically done using the other user backends.  With LDAP
> one needs to manually add the groups, set up the RIDS properly, and manually
> create the mapping.  There are some gaps in my knowledge here.  I just need
> something to pull all the bits of information into one logical flow.
---
John Terpstra's how-to pretty much explains it - but unfortunately,
until you are actually fumbling with the data, the information seems
slippery as jello.

the smbldap-populate script will set up the initial groups that are
essential for a proper winnt domain. Simply run the script and it will
populate the LDAP with the users/groups for Windows...the ldif that you
were looking for.

Craig