[Samba] "Account Unknown" problem (Samba3 domain users in WinNTpermissions)

Fermín Galán Márquez fermin.galan at agora-2000.com
Wed Jan 7 11:42:29 GMT 2004

I have been working on the "Account Unknown" problem and I have found that
it could be related with some kind of WinNT4 to Samba3 SID conversion bug.

In particular, let be "user1" a user of the Samba3 domain with SID:

S-1-5-21-4241608303-34714143-466288756-2092

After assign permissions for user1 in a WinNT4 domain folder, I get a dump
of the ACEs for that folder (I have used a Perl script with Win32::Perms,
due to I cannot find a built-in Windows tool to do that) and I get that the
entry for "user1" have an associated SID of:

S-1-5-21--53358993-34714143-466288756-2092

So, it's logical that when the Permission dialog opens, it cannot resolve a
SID that is not associated with any user and, therefore, shows "Account
Unknown".

The problem seems to be in the way WinNT4 stores the SID in the ACE. In
particular, the conversion of the token '4241608303' -> '-53358993'.

Again, the problem only seems to affect to visualization. Permission access
defined works fine (that is, if I have defined Read only permission for
user1, user1 cannot write in the folder, regardless of he appears as
"Unknown User" in the Permission dialog).

So, a pair of questions:

1. Is a WinNT4 or Samba3 known bug?
2. How SID works? That is, how is structured, what means the hyphens, how
it's generated, etc. (I need this information to try going deeper into the
problem).

Any hint about the cause of the problem will be welcome, in particular from
other users that also are suffering it.

------
Fermín