[Samba] different win machines on PDC not accessible at different times

John H. mrmailer at myway.com
Wed Jan 7 04:49:42 GMT 2004

I am having nearly the EXACT same problem as
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2003-December/033315.html

I have samba 3.0.1-1 rpms and fedora core 1.

Samba is set as a WINS server, which the win2k machines, who use DHCP from router, are pointed to by the WINS server address specified in router(each of the win2k machines, via ipconfig /all reveal they do in fact use the wins server).

At different times, and different machines, the win2k clients get one of the two errors...
"\\computer not accessible.  the system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2"

or

"\\computer is not accessible
an internal windows 2000 error occurred"

while these unaccessible computers generate this message, if i try from the linux machine for the same \\machine, i get
session setup failed: NT code 0xf90a8141
via smbclient -L \\machine -U user

later, it is accessible.  it keeps going on and off.  I was told this may be fixed if I install netbeui protocol on all win2k machines?  This is a pretty annoying problem, and I've checked and checked my config, but have found no solution in it or on the internet.  My smb.conf is attached.      Any help would be appreciated.

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from 0.0.0.0 (0.0.0.0)
# Date: 2004/01/06 19:02:42

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = LAMP
	netbios name = LROL-SERVER
	netbios aliases = INTRANET
	passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
	passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
	add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false -M %u
	logon script = logon.cmd
	logon home = \\homeserver\%u\winprofile
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 64