[Samba] User Management / Samba 3.0.1 LDAP / USERMGR.EXE problems

Toby Schaefer toby-list at mail.nixa.k12.mo.us
Tue Jan 6 17:45:02 GMT 2004

Hello,

  I'm using Samba 3.0.1 with LDAP backend running as a PDC here.  When I
start up usrmgr.exe from Windows NT, it will read all the users (or
computers, for srvmgr.exe) in the domain and report them back correctly.
However, whomever I am logged in as ( including gid 512 users) it will not
let me see details or change anything.  In the logs after trying to view a
users details I will get (hand typed from across the room, so forgive the
lack of log lines):

rpc_server/src_samr_nt.c:access_check_samr_object(93) _samr_open_user:
ACCESS DENIED (requested: 0x00601bf)

Before that it does access  checks se_access_check  of different SID
variations, ending in also S-1-5-21-.......-512.
Does anyone have any idea why it is not enabling me to use the usrmgr.exe to
manage users?  The scripts work great as far as I am concerned, but with the
school I work for enrolling new students soon, I need a "counselor level"
tool that they can do simple tasks with. :)  If not, does anyone have any
recommendations for other gui / cheesy user management that will run on
windows?

Thanks in advance!

Toby Schaefer