[Samba] XP Pro client cannot access stand-alone linux samba server

Ian Colley ian.colley at zepler.net
Fri Jan 2 20:19:23 GMT 2004

Hello again

Your comment about the smbpasswd file got me thinking so I deleted the
user 'ian' and re-created him using 'smbpasswd -x ian' and 'smbpasswd -a
ian <password>' and next time i tried to view the share it worked a
treat - didn't even prompt for a password - just used the default
windows one.  I had originally created the user 'ian' using a
samba-webmin module before moving over to cmd-line tools and neglected
to delete and re-create the user.  I can only assume that I had set some
option wrong when using webmin hence your observation of the unusual
character.

Many thanks for your help - I certainly couldn't have got round this
problem without it.

Ian

P.S.  I deciced to reset requiresignorseal to '1' and reboot - I was
still able to successfully access the share.