[Samba] samba resolves wrong wins ip address

John Russell jorussel at cisco.com
Fri Jan 2 17:12:43 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-02 at 12:04, tcg wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2004 11:46, John Russell wrote:
> > Does anyone have any idea what is going on here and how I can convince
> > machine 2 that machine 1's address is the one from eth0?
>
> Why would "ping" resolve an address through WINS? It seems that DNS or hosts
> is a more likely prospect.

DNS and hosts file are not capable of resolving dynamic address assigned
by DHCP.  When these machines come on line they register with the local
WINS server so that their hostname can be resolved to their new dynamic
address.  I have an entry in nsswitch.conf to add wins to the list of
places to resolve hostnames.

e.g. from /etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts:       files dns wins

without that last entry, I can't resolve any DHCP windows hosts.

John