[Samba] Samba Gigabit very very slow?

flinchlock fst6x7v02 at sneakemail.com
Sun Feb 29 01:20:23 GMT 2004

Quoting "Anders Norrbring"

> > I´m having trubbles with the speed on my samba server,
> > I just uppgraded to gigabit (Realtek 8169 NIC) at home when i
> > copy stuff from the samba
> > server i get around 5-6Mb/sec
> > and if i use ftp to access the same file on the same server i
> > get almost 30Mb/sec does
> > anyone have a clue what causes this problem? When i used my old
> > 3com 905c for the local
> > net i got normal 100Mbit speed (around 10-12Mb/sec)

So we are all talking apples to apples...

1) What size file(s)?  (One BIG 100MB file, or 100 1MB files?)
2) How to you calculate the xxMB/sec?
3) Do you get the same results both directions?
   3a) copy \\server\share\bigfile c:\
   3b) copy c:\bigfile \\server\share

I can then check my xfer rates to see if I am or am not having
similar results.

THANKS,
Mike