[Samba] linux print server for MS windows 2000

cristi mitulescu chris_yumm at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 22:18:08 GMT 2004

After following a few posts on the same topic I got some confidence and I
reawaken my need to print from my windows2000 computer through Mandrake 9.2
(Samba 2.2.8).  After going through all the steps described I got the same
result as the last time I tried to do this - none. When connecting the
printer in windows, it installs the windows drivers and sets it as the
default printer. Yet the same error is still displaying "Status: access
denied, unable to connect".
How I configured my Samba server in linux:
Both computers are on the same workgroup: MDKGROUP
Added the windows user and smbpasswd -a user
Configured samba to encrypt passwords and also accept logins without
passwords as the windows user does not use a password.
Made the printer sharable,browsable, and writable by the windows user.

Does anyone have any ideas. Can somebody post a configuration file that
works with similar settings please?! I would like to stop printing through
the windows pc as it is a laptop and unlike my linux machine it is not
alway switched on or attached to the network.
I do not know if it helps but this is my smb.conf
The windows user is marianne although in windows it appears as Marianne.

[global]
        printing = cups
        max log size = 50
        netbios name = Mandrake
        encrypt passwords = yes
        printcap name = cups
        dns proxy = no
        load printers = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        map to guest = bad user
        printer admin = @adm
        os level = 20
        null passwords = yes
        workgroup = MDKGROUP
        security = user
        server string = Samba Server %v

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no

[CristiLexmark]
        public = yes
        writeable = yes
        print command = lpr-cups -P %p -o raw %s -r   # using client side
printer
drivers.
        comment = printer on mandrake
        printer = LexmarkZ45
        printable = yes
        create mask = 0700
        valid users = marianne
        path = /var/spool/samba

[print$]
path = /var/lib/samba/printers
write list = @adm root
guest ok = yes

[pdf-generator]
path = /var/tmp
printable = Yes
comment = PDF Generator (only valid users)
#print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf file path win_path
recipient IP doc_name &
print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I &

[pdf-screen]
copy = pdf-generator
comment = PDF Generator - Screen quality (only valid users)
print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I ""
%S &

[pdf-printer]
copy = pdf-generator
comment = PDF Generator - Print quality (only valid users)
print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I ""
%S &

[pdf-prepress]
copy = pdf-generator
comment = PDF Generator - PrePress quality (only valid users)
print command = /usr/share/samba/scripts/print-pdf %s ~%u //%L/%u %m %I ""
%S &

[download]
        admin users = +cristi
        valid users = cristi,marianne